Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Long Overdue

Okay wow..... Uhm.. yeah. What can I say? I've been extremely lax in keeping content on here. For a period of time I got pulled into other projects. However recently I was able to work on a project which I was able to use dart, and not just my usual server side work, or internal server but something that would be customer facing. Albeit something very minimal and not actually 'interactive' for the customers who would see it. But still it was a great chance for me to make use of dart and it was nice doing something publicly visible. However due to the nature of it I was unable to share the code for it.

I've also pushed out the source to DartMud as I've not worked on that in some time. I may be able to get some more commenting and eventually some additional work on it, however at the time being it will probably be pretty stagnant for the next little while at least. If you're interested you can check out my git repository.

There have been many many chances to the dart editor, dart vm, et al. that I have no real possibility of listing them all here now. However work is progressing rapidly in all areas and the integrated build is seeing updates almost weekly. It's very exciting to see the changes and additions being added so frequently. And so far only the rare 'breaking change' has come through which requires significant updating to any code. One such change was an update to the way callbacks are assigned on sockets. But it was a minor effort to update DartMud to reflect those changes.

At the moment, my current tests have me playing with the webserving capabilities of Dart. I have just recently begun to play with writing my own server. For those looking to get into it a little faster however, there are a couple of nice projects already in place including an Apache mod_dart, to run dart server side scripts as you would run a PHP script right inside of Apache. Additionally there is Dart Start, which is a (Ruby) Sinatra inspired dart server. In particular Start allows for simple routing and parameter passing as popularized by Ruby On Rails. So by all means check them out! In the mean time I'll continue playing with my server and let you know as things progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment