Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Some easy roads

I received some comments to my last two posts which is great. Always nice to see that it's being reading, even by a small audience. But these particular comments were nice as they were from Seth Ladd, who is a Developer advocate at Google. It's great getting feedback to my issues directly from the team working on the project. First comment was to submit bug reports, the other about some easier roads to take which I was totally unaware of and want to share.

But first regarding the bug reports for those of you who may be curious. I searched through the issue tracker and could not find a similar bug report for the issue I ran into with named arguments being passed to a function. So I created a new issue for that. Issue 1199. I verified the same example code works in dartboard and it does compile with frogc, but will not run in the VM. Take a look at the bug report if you're interested.

Thus far, I have been unable to consistently replicate the issue I'm having with the editor randomly greying out the 'Lunch in Dart Server' button and menu item. I'll continue to work on this to see if I can determine the cause and reproduce the issue. If I do I will also provide information on the bug report for that one.

Seth Ladd also shared with me a link to the root location of Dart Editor downloads. You can find that here: http://gsdview.appspot.com/dart-editor-archive-integration/latest/. Of note here are a couple of other files listed. In particular is: dart-linux-latest.zip which is a pre-compiled version of the SDK (from trunk, not bleeding edge). Also available are the MacOS and Win32 builds however I can't account for how well these may work as I'm running on my linux machine.

After my experiences yesterday pulling down the code, compiling and testing I do highly recommend using the above download unless you are specifically looking for Dartium. This will help save your system a little space and save yourself a little time an patience. I'm glad for the experience I had with pulling down the source but going forward I will most like be sticking the pre-built binaries from the above source to keep consistency with official builds and documentation. Here's to hoping for a pre-built dartium in the (near?) future!

That's all for now. May post more later today as I get some actual coding done ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment