Thursday, February 23, 2012

Featureless Sockets

Okay, so the title is a bit of a stretch. Dart Sockets are far from featureless. As some of you may or may not know, I've decided to take a segue in my EchoServer towards working on a basic MUD and MUDLib written in Dart. It will be far from full featured, and far from fully functional but it will be the basis and a nice little start.

Within a few minutes of converting the EchoServer to be the basis of the MUD driver, I've already run into an issue of a missing feature with Sockets in Dart. I'm unable to get the host of an incoming connection. That is, I can't find out who is connecting to me. While it's a trivial matter for a MUD, or many other services, one would expect such functionality for various uses including HTTP server logging, etc.

After digging through the bleeding edge to see if it may have been recently included but just not yet updated in the API, I still can't find any reference to such properties. So as such, I've created a bug report over in the Dart issue tracker. If you're interested, or want to star the report you can view it here at: Issue 1819

As I progress with the Dart core and MUDLib I'm sure I'll find some additional bugs to report, or just missing features I can think could be added. Additionally I'll keep progress reports available on here and eventually release the source on GitHub or something similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment