Monday, February 6, 2012

New Editor and SDK

Just today I was thinking "There's been a large number of changes to the SDK lately and the integration builds of the SDK and Editor haven't been updated. Maybe I'm going to have to start trying the continuous builds..." when low and behold, a thread on the Dartlang misc group indicates that there is a new integration build available. Build number: 3934. So off I go and download that and the new SDK build.

Beautiful. First a couple of things to note: I extracted the editor into the dart/ directory it was in, into my home directory. I extracted the SDK into my home directory as well and left it in the dart-sdk directory. I launched the Editor and in the launch preferences pointed the VM to the /dart-sdk/bin/dart executable. Which worked fine, but the SDK and compiler preferences said they didn't see the SDK installed and thus indicated that frogc would not work correctly. Then I recealled that I had seen somewhere previously in the mailing group that one should extract the dart-sdk into the dart editor directory. So I moved the dart-sdk directory into dart/, relaunched the editor and low and behold under the launch preferences it says there are no launch settings available... that's interesting. I then go in and check the SDK and Compiler preferences. It shows that I have SDK build number 3934 installed. Yay. It's seeing it. But odd there's no launch preferences.....

Or so I thought. Wow. Look at all those options... I opened up a small test file I had from the past and click the little drop down arrow next to the Run button... maybe they added the checked mode flag I had mentioned before. Whoa.. what's all this? Manage launches and I have a nice little dialog to "create an manage launches". Hitting the new button I see I can create a Dart launch in Dartium (don't have that installed at the moment but that's alright, Dart Server launch (primarily what I use for dealing with the dart VM directly) and Dart Web Launch. I go ahead and create a new server launch. Give the launch a name 'Run Test' in this case. Hit browse from the script and choose the only script in this project anyways. But its interesting that it lets you choose which file is the one that contains the main method in such an easy manner. And it appears (though I've yet to test it) that it will only list files associated with your current project). Any arguments I want to pass to the script as well and finally to run in checked mode or not. Wow very nice. I go ahead and create a separate launch just for running in checked mode as well just because I can. I must say I really like that launch interface in this new editor.

And now the SDK also has the IO libraries available to me as well so I will soon have to start playing with these to work on some of the scripting aspects I'm interested in using Dart for, server side.

No comments:

Post a Comment